Friday, July 8, 2022

Tentacles Everywhere!

In spite of the lateness of the current kickstarter I really enjoy and admire the game design of Cthulhu Wars.  Really it is a very satisfying and deep game but easy to learn.  It just happens to have a great theme and some awesome minis as well!


Now that Warhammer Quest is all done I've been enjoying some board game projects and thought I'd tackle this behemoth of a game.  I don't have anywhere near everything but I did get all the factions painted up that I currently own!



All the factions come in bright and easy to identify colors so no one is confused as to who's monsters belong to which faction.  Nyarlathotep's gang is all kinds of blue.  I wanted to maintain an overwhelmingly primary color for everything to facilitate gameplay while brining details and color out for everything.


The black goatt really made me work on red and was a bit of a challenge.  I found working in these limited palletes to be a difficult task.  I also didn't want to tone down colors for any faction instead hoping to keep plenty of color to all the various horrors that lurk beyond time and or space.


I have to say that this Cthulhu sculpt is my favorite so far.  Its just so brilliantly alien compared to other ones I've enjoyed.


I'm glad this wasn't my first rodeo with yellow.  Hastur was all kinds of bright and yet sickly at the same time.  Big shout out to whoever sculpted the cultists as well.  There's just something very satisfying about that piece.  Some sculpts try to hard to be a sweet looking miniature and somewhat fall short as a game piece but I like the cultists for hitting that sweet spot between the line of sculpt and game piece.


I agonized over a paint scheme for the neutral faction Azathoth.  Then I just took a little inspiration from my Nightstalker army and wild.  Really enjoyed the results here.


I always enjoy painting pinks and purples and Yog Sothoth certainly fit the bill!  All the doom trackers are small coins which I've painted up in single color metalics with a wash.  I'm not too happy with the sculpt on the great old one for this faction but I'm not exactly sure just what one would scult to represent Yog Sothoth honestly.  


Finally the sleeper faction.  I have to say this is probably about 80% or more of the orange I have ever painted with in my life.  I really think its a color I need to expand upon and work with more.  I rather enjoyed finding color combinations and washes to work within this color.

Until the Kickstarter toys arrive I just have a bunch of neutral units to paint up.  If you haven't tried this game I highly recommend it!  Don't let the size and cost of the base game fool you there's an amazing strategy game in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment